April 18th, 2012 : By Jason Holtgrewe
A few weeks back, during our Saturday and Sunday services, we discussed ways we can be missional. Here are some ideas to consider.
1. Meet new people and learn new things by joining an organization, group, club, or by taking a class at a local college.
2. Get to know your neighbors or co-workers. Engage their lives!
3. Consider the needs and injustices in your city and do something about it–things like Big Brothers Big Sisters (mentoring) or Operation Read (literacy). The list goes on and on.
4. Do what you already do but invite others to join you (e.g., go to lunch with someone instead of always going alone).
5. Quit showing up day after day to your job “because you have to” and start making plans to start a career that makes you come alive. Or simply do your current job in a more missional way.
6. Buy local–and get to know the people you’re buying from.
7. Cut out certain things in your schedule so you can give yourself to things that are actually important to you.
8. Think global–sponsor a child in need, fight human trafficking, etc. Learn about a global issue and do something about it (beyond just mindlessly sending a check).
9. Do what you do well and increasingly serve others with your gifts and talents.
10. Commit to doing “random acts of kindness” on a consistent basis (e.g. go to laundromat and pay for people’s laundry once a month).